Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Cheaper Bowl of Cereal

I love cereal, but there's generally two things wrong with it. Most of it is really sugary and high in calories. For most people that's okay, but not so much for me since I'm on a mission to lose alot of weight. Sure, there's high fiber cereals that are good for you, but that brings me to the second issue with it...cereal is expensive! I've seen some okay deals recently, and I know coupons can bring the cost of cereal down alot more, but it's rare that I find something cheap enough to satisfy me.

A week ago, on a strange whim, I bought a bag of puffed wheat for 99 cents. It was the most generic cereal they had at Dillons, but for some reason I just wanted puffed wheat. After eating a bowl of it plain, I had to wonder where I got a craving for cardboard. Not one to let it go to waste, I decided to try it again with a few additions.

Tonight I had the same puffed wheat, this time with a sliced banana and a sprinkling of Splenda and voila! It was really good! It wasn't overly sweet but had a nice taste to it. Plus it was relatively healthy. Now I'll admit, Splenda is pricy, and so that was my splurge to keep it healthy(we bought a box a couple weeks ago so I didn't have to buy it new), but for those of you without sugar/diet issues, a small sprinkling of sugar would be just as good.

My next experiment with puffed wheat? A cinnamon/Spenda mix and raisins. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: